Bushwacker was on vacation.
Robson Palermo took his first season win, his 10th career win─ with a gorgeous 92-point ride on RMEF Gunpowder & Lead. That pair is poetry in motion!
BEN JONES IS BACK!
“I just love to see this guy make rides and go boom-shaka-laka across the arena.”─ Shorty Gorham. Don’t we all! After his 86.75 on Overdraft, Jones had to do half his dance on the top rail, because the bull wanted an encore. Then Ben vaulted onto the Shark Cage to bust a move with Flint, getting the loudest crowd reaction of the weekend. For the Championship Round, he got stuck with Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, and soon was flying chuteward in reverse. But hurray—he didn’t get bent out of shape about it. That cheerful attitude is much better for the head, Ben!
According to Hummer, “Valdiron de Oliveira has a take-no-prisoners attitude.” I beg to differ. Austin Meier and Ben Jones are the ones with the “take no prisoners” attitude. Proof: Austin came into the weekend with 6 buckoffs in a row. His Round 3 bull, Magic, was rocking out in the chute and hurt Austin’s hand. After a commercial he re-set, the bull again went berserk in the chute, and gave him a wild ride. Austin held onto the rope until the last nano-second, and made 8, for 86.50. Ben, watching, yelled, “No! He just knocked me out!”
INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
How’s Chris Shivers doing??
SILVANO AND THE RERIDES
Great name for a band, huh?
In Round 1 yesterday, Alves scored 87.50 on re-ride Bad Moon. Today’s draft pick: Dr. Evil. He got a re-ride option– why? Supposedly the bull didn’t have his usual day, but did anyone bother to tell viewers what was happening? Or the score he settled for instead? Why can’t they keep viewers informed? They’re supposed to comment on the action, not their theories or what happened another time. I looked it up: 68.50, worst I’ve seen so far.
I’M JUST SAYIN’…
- Even the Truth Booth was about JB’s riding hand, with Luke Snyder, Douglas Duncan, and Jordan Hupp commenting. Says The Bummer: “This is gonna be a fun debate…”
- de Oliveira (Note: that’s de Oliveira, not Oliveira!) got his right foot broken in the chute— but didn’t make a peep or forfeit the ride; that’s why he got bucked off. (“Clickety click” was how Dr. Tandy Freeman described the noise his ankle made.) Yet Hummer’s comment was about how this’ll affect JB next weekend. Coming back from commercial, he mentions Valdiron’s broken right foot, “only a week after JB Mauney broke his riding hand…” It’s all about JB, isn’t it Craig? Have some dignity, man. Your crush is seriously embarrassing. JB’s gonna have to take out a restraining order on you.
- Leah Garcia’s a real reporter: she went to the recovery room to check on Valdiron, and came back to report that he’ll ride in Connecticut─ and not once did she mention JB.
- Jeff Robinson bought Cool Hand Luke from Canada. Any bets on when Hummer starts calling it “Canadiancoolhandluke”?
- Stormy Wing picked Asteroid again; obviously he hasn’t gotten over being dumped. Good move by the camera op, zooming in on Wing’s face in the chute. After making that face hit his hump a few times, Asteroid threw a lightning-quick hind kick that flipped Wing up into a wild airborne backwards somersault. Bull score: 47.25!
That picture of Cord McCoy’s hideously frightening skull injury in an old bronc riding wreck may explain why he’s always smiling no matter what happens on his bulls¾ but maybe not for the reason Hummer said. I’m thinking maybe the damage was a little permanent. I mean, two weeks in a coma, then a huge operation on a half-crushed skull, learning to speak again…
- “Asteroid, any time he flies into the lineup, he’s looking to launch his next victim.” “Asteroid has designs on leading the charge.” This, directly from the bull when Hummer asked about his strategy for the event. “Space Chimp, a veteran bull that knows how to shoot for the stars.”—Whoa! Who mixed up Asteroid’s “sides” with Space Chimp’s copy?
After an unsuccessful trip on Jack Daniel’s After Party (1 for 11 this season), Austin got stuck in his helmet again. They need to put ejector latches on those things.
CAN I QUOTE YOU ON THAT?
“All that free rosin in the locker room; I guess I should have used some last night.”—L.J. Jenkins re losing his rope last night on Cooper Tires Grey Ghost.
- “Leah, I’ve been sore since Madison Square Garden.” ─Cord, telling it like it is.
- Justin McBride re Shepherd Hills Trapper’s rankness: ”What I like about this bull is, #1, I don’t have to get on him; and #2, he always changes it up, he doesn’t have one set pattern.”
- “Asteroid is a bull I’ve not been believing in before, but that was my own stupidity.” Can you believe Shorty said that? Said Craig, “I’m glad you called yourself stupid, so we don’t have to.” Amen!